Saturday, January 15, 2011

Talk about a blow to the face

I had been for the past few years contemplating  getting the band done and up until recently was still go for it.

Then I discovered the sleeve and I was sold.  I had found a doctor and was going to sign up for one of his mandatory seminars for next week when I took a major blow to my hopes and dreams.

My husbands employer has BCBS of Alabama and I had looked at their policies to make sure what they required for consideration of WLS.  Then I got on here and noticed someone had mentioned something about their insurance provider having exclusion clauses.  If I didn't immediately whip out our benefit booklet to find it.

There is was on one of the last pages:

"Services or expenses for treatment of any condition including, but not limited to, obesity, diabetes, orheart disease, which is based upon weight reduction or dietary control or services or expenses of any kind to treat obesity, weight reduction or dietary control. This exclusion includes bariatric surgery and gastric restrictive procedures and any complications arising from bariatric surgery and gastric restrictiveprocedures"

I'm crushed.  Without help from insurance I don't think we could afford it.  We're in the process of digging ourselves out of debt so our credit isn't all that fabulous.

I could literally just cry and cry.  Here I had thought I had found the answer to my prayers only to have it taken from me.

No comments: